If you are visiting St. John USVI, you will definitely want to try snorkeling. This is the most fun, easy, relaxing way to see the underwater life that habitats the Caribbean waters around St. John.
Where is the best snorkeling in St. John USVI?
Defining the “best snorkeling in St. John” is subjective to many factors such as swimming abilities, water and wind conditions, and types of marine life at each spot. Here is a list of great snorkeling areas in St. John easily accessible by road or trail:
North Shore St. John Snorkeling:
1. Salomon/Honeymoon Bay is a popular snorkeling spot for charter boats which is also easily accessed by land. Salomon Bay and Honeymoon Beach can be reached using the Lind Point Trail from Cruz Bay or through Caneel Bay. There is a rocky headland that separates the two beautiful beaches which has reef full of coral and plenty of fish.
2. Hawksnest Bay is another popular St. John snorkeling spot as it is a quick drive from Cruz Bay with plenty of parking. Hawksnest has great elkhorn coral in the center of the bay with beautiful fish and possibly some turtles.
3. Perkins Cay off Denis Bay is great snorkeling but can be difficult during high wind or rough seas as it is not protected. The reef is shallow with various corals and other marine life.
4. Trunk Bay offers a great start for beginner snorkelers with an Underwater Trail that has plaques explaining the major types of reef. Easy to access from the beach and snorkel equipment can be rented on site.
5. Maho Bay is a favorite among some visitors as there are seagrass beds that provide habitat for green sea turtles. This is also a St John USVI snorkeling spot for sting rays that swim close to shore. There are also plenty of fish as you swim toward little Maho Bay next to Francis Bay.
6. Leinster Bay / Waterlemon Cay snorkeling requires a little more work than the others in this list. To reach Leinster Bay you will need to hike the Leinster Bay Trail. To really see some of the best snorkeling in St John USVI, you will need to continue your hike and take a swim to Waterlemon Cay or arrive by boat. This snorkeling spot does not see as many crowds so it is less abused.
South Shore St. John Snorkeling
7. Salt Pond Bay snorkeling is an option during the winter months as the water is usually clear and free from northerly swells. The best snorkeling in Salt Pond is to the left side of the bay toward the start of Rams Head trail and the two sets of rocks in the middle of the bay about a 1/4 mile swim from the beach.
There are also many more snorkeling spots that surround St. John USVI that are only accessible by boat. Get out there and use your fins to check out the beauty of our underwater life!
If you are looking for more things to do or events in St. John USVI, check out the St. John USVI calendar.